What is OneDrive for Business?
OneDrive for Business is an integral part of Office 365 or SharePoint Server, and provides place in the cloud where you can store, share, and sync your work files. You can update and share your files from any device with OneDrive for Business. You can even work on Office documents with others at the same time.
Installing OneDrive for Business
You will need to install the OneDrive for Business App before configuring CRM 2016 Online to use OneDrive for Business.
- Navigate to https://portal.office.com/
- Click on the menu in the right top coner and select elect the OneDrive app.
- You will be redirected to OneDrive start page to configure OneDrive for the first time.
- After the configuration is completed, OneDrive app will open.
OneDrive for Business and Microsoft Dynamics CRM
In Dynamics CRM 2016 Online, there is a new feature ‘Enable OneDrive for Business’ in the Document Management which helps us to integrate OneDrive with CRM as shown below.
You will need to enable server-based integration and have at least one active SharePoint site before you can enable OneDrive for Business. If server-based integration is not enabled you will receive the following message asking you to enable server-based integration.
The user will need to have a active OneDrive for Business licence else the user will receive the below error when trying to enable OneDrive for Business.
Navigate to Settings -> Document Management and click “Enable OneDrive for Business”
After OneDrive for Business is successfully enabled you will see a new option “OneDrive for Business Folder Settings” in the “Document Management” section. Here you can specify the folder name that OneDrive will use to store the data.
Navigate to a existing Account record and navigate to the “Documents” section and click “Upload” and select a file to upload.
Once you have selected you file to upload you will see the CRM Folder option. Select OneDrive and click “OK”
Controlling access to OneDrive for Business in CRM
You can toggle availability of OneDrive in CRM for end users through the OneDrive for Business privilege.
- Click Settings > Security > Security Roles
- Choose a security role, and then click the Core Records tab.
- Under Miscellaneous Privileges, toggle the OneDrive for Business privilege to the desired availability.
Advantages of OneDrive
- Since mobile devices are synced with this storage option, documents, and other digital content gets stored automatically on the storage space thereby keeping files secure in case of accidental hard disk failures.
- With OneDrive, you can access files from any location. You are good to go with an internet connection, device, along with a web browser.
- This storage option enables you to share files with anybody you wish. This prevents unauthorized access.